Cooking time 1 ½ hours - 2 hours
4 - 6 Border Range Rabbit hindquarters (or one whole rabbit jointed)
1 medium onion
1 medium carrot
2 stalks celery
2 bay leaves
4 sage leaves
Salt (to taste)
3 cups veal or chicken stock
1 egg yolk (beaten)
Half a cup of chopped Italian parsley
Preheat oven to 190C
- In an ovenproof dish (with lid), combine rabbit roughly chopped onion, carrot and celery
- Add bay leaves, peppercorns, sage, stock and salt.
- Cook in oven for 15 - 20 minutes (until boiling) and reduce heat to approx
- 100 -120C and lightly simmer for another 1 ½ hours
- Remove the casserole from oven, drain off liquid into a small saucepan and remove bay leaves, sage and peppercorns.
- Over a low heat reduce the liquid if required.
- Combine the beaten egg yolk with the liquid until creamy.
- Arrange rabbit portions and vegetable mixture in serving dish or individual plates
- Pour over the sauce and garnish with parsley