Serves four generously.
2 whole Border Range rabbits OR 2 pairs of hindquarters and 2 rabbit fillets
1 medium onion
5 rashers of unsmoked bacon or cubed ham
2 cloves of garlic
fresh herbs (rough chop parsley, thyme, chives, to taste)
small glass of dry sherry
1 beaten egg
Frozen short crust pastry (unless you can make your own better)!
½ pint double cream
- Section whole rabbit into jointed pieces, or use whole hindquarters and fillets.
- Place in a covered ovenproof dish, whole and cover with bacon.
- Cook in moderate oven for about 15 mins.
- Meanwhile sweat the sliced onions and crushed garlic in a pan until soft.
- Add sherry and reduce.
- When rabbit is cooked, cool and remove off as much meat as possible and add to pan with the bacon.
- Add herbs; add a little water if necessary and cream.
- Roll out defrosted pastry about ¼ inch thick and brush with beaten egg.
- Place rabbit mix in suitable pie dish and top with pastry. Cook in moderate oven until pastry golden.